- 12 large egg whites, or 1 pint liquid egg whites
- 1 t. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 c. cremini mushrooms
- 2T finely chopped shallots
- crushed red pepper flakes
- one 16-oz package tightly packed, clean spinach
- preheat oven to 350F
- in a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites util foamy; set aside. pour the olive oil into a large oven-safe skillet and place over med-high heat. once the oil has begun to show wisps of smoke, add the mushrooms. cook the mushrooms until browned and softened. season w/salt, remove from the skillet and reserve on a plate.
- add the shallots and a pinch of red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook until soft (2 min). add the spinach and cook until wilted and soft and all the water has evaporated (3-4 min). push the spinach w/ the back of the spatula to release excess water and discard the liquid.
- return the mushrooms to skillet. taste and adjust the seasoning as needed and pour in the egg whites. cook, stirring, until the egg whites have almost set. transfer the skillet to the oven to finish the cooking (2 min). fold the omelet in half; cut into 4 equal pieces and place a piece on each plate.